Sign in with your email address username.


Beware of blotting paper hallucinogens: severe toxicity with NBOMes

- Featured Image

Clinical record

16-year-old male presented to the emergency department after ingesting what he believed to be LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) on red blotting paper while camping with friends in rural New South Wales in late 2014. He had no past medical or mental health history, and was taking no regular medications. He had three seizures before arriving in the ED, where his Glasgow coma scale score was 9. He had a fourth seizure about 1 hour after presenting, and was given 5 mg midazolam intravenously. His initial venous blood gas parameters were: pH 6.93 (reference range [RR], 7.35–7.45); PCO2, 120 mmHg (RR, 35–48 mmHg); and base excess, −7 (RR, 0.5–1.6). He was then intubated, ventilated, paralysed with rocuronium, and sedated with morphine/midazolam for transfer to a tertiary intensive care unit. His heart rate was 70 bpm, his blood pressure 130/60 mmHg, and he was afebrile after intubation. Over the next 3 hours and before medical retrieval, his blood gases normalised with improved ventilation (pH 7.4; PCO2, 29.6 mmHg).

He had no further seizures after his transfer to the tertiary intensive care unit. His overnight urine output was initially reduced; this improved with increased fluid replacement. On arrival at the intensive care unit, his blood parameters were: white cell count, 16.3 × 109/L (RR, 4–11 × 109/L);…