[Perspectives] Evelina’s legacy
The Evelina London Children’s Hospital stands beside St Thomas’s Hospital close to the River Thames, and serves sick children from the whole of south London. The current building was opened in 2005. It succeeds the original hospital on Southwark Bridge Road, founded in 1869 in a district notorious for its poverty, by one of the richest men in the UK. Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild (1839–98) established the hospital after the death of his wife Evelina (1839–66) and their only child, in childbirth.