AMA nomination sought for NHMRC committee
Expressions of interest are being sought for an AMA nomination for consideration as a member of the National Health and Medical Research Council’s working committee reviewing its ethical guidelines on organ and tissue donation and transplantation.
The NHMRC has asked the AMA to nominate a member for the committee as it plans to start a review of the following ethical guidelines:
- Organ and tissue donation after death, for transplantation – Guidelines for ethical practice for health professionals, 2007;
- Making a decision about organ and tissue donation after death, 2007;
- Organ and tissue donation by living donors – Guidelines for ethical practice for health professionals, 2007;
- Making a decision about living organ and tissue donation, 2007; and
- Ethical guidelines for organ transplantation from deceased donors, 2016.
An integral part of this process will be the establishment of the Organ and Tissue Working Committee (OTWC) comprised of members who have experience or expertise in one or more of the following:
- Health ethics;
- The donation and transplantation of organs and tissues from living donors;
- The donation and transplantation of organs and tissues from deceased donors;
- The coordination of organ and tissue donation and transplantation;
- Community and consumer issues related to transplantation, donation and/or health ethics;
- Government policy regarding donation and transplantation of organs and tissues from living and deceased donors; and
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health issues.
The NHMRC is currently seeking nominations of persons for appointment to the OTWC for the period to 30 December 2019. The AMA has been asked to provide a nominee with experience or expertise in ‘the donation and transplantation of organs and tissues from living and deceased donors’.
The NHMRC will consider nominations from a number of organisations and there is no guarantee the AMA’s nominee will be appointed.
The NHMRC will seek formal declarations of interest, following initial consideration of all nominations. The NHMRC’s Policy on the Disclosure of Interests Requirements for Prospective and Appointed NHMRC Committee members. This policy can be found on their website at: https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/about/committees/nhmrc_policy_disclosure_of_interests_committee_members_150513.pdf
The OTWC will be effective for the period 1 July 2017 to 30 December 2019.
Deadline for consideration as AMA nomination