What is doctorportal Learning?
doctorportal Learning is a state-of-the-art, mobile friendly, CPD learning management system specifically designed for Australian doctors. Developed with the busy doctor in mind, doctorportal Learning provides a one-stop-shop for registering, completing and managing your professional learning that meets all of your CPD reporting requirements.
Sign-up to doctorportal first. You can then create your doctorportal Learning Profile to access a wide range of medical education opportunities, plus manage your reporting requirements using the CPD Tracker.
As a medical professional, what are the benefits of having a doctorportal account?
As a doctorportal account holder, you can:
- access free or paid online medical education, conferences and events, delivered by a range of education providers
- use our customised CPD Tracker to support your ongoing CPD reporting requirements
- access Doctors’ Health Services, a health advisory and referral service for doctors and medical students across Australia
- view 500+ administrative and diagnostic tools supporting GPs
- use our Find a Doctor directory, when you need to refer a patient for specialist services
- read global and local medical news, including MJA Insight delivered directly to your inbox
- advertise jobs for any medical specialty
- view and apply for listed medical job vacancies in Australia
- purchase medical texts and guides online.
What can doctorportal Learning do?
Your doctorportal Learning account enables you to:
- create a personal Learning Profile and link your medical college(s) and scope of practice allowing the CPD tracking system and CPD reporting function to automatically track your CPD requirements and progress against college requirements. You can then download the CPD summary report and provide to your medical college in hard or soft copy
- understand your CPD requirements for the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) or up to 16 medical specialists colleges, depending on your practice
- access a range of learning opportunities that support your learning needs and professional interests
- access your enrolled self-paced online learning from anywhere and at anytime
- recommence learning from where you left off last time, so you don’t have to start all over again
- upload and track your external learning
Who is responsible for managing my CPD if I use the doctorportal Learning CPD Tracker?
Every Australian medical practitioner is individually responsible for undertaking and managing their own continuing professional development. doctorportal Learning offers a range of learning opportunities, including accredited modules that attract CPD. The CPD Tracker makes it easy to manage your ongoing MBA registration and reporting requirements.
By signing up, you agree that doctorportal Learning is intended to be used for support and guidance, but is not responsible for your CPD or reporting obligations. Click here to learn more about medical professional CPD obligations.
How do I register for doctorportal Learning?
Simply click ‘Sign Up’ and enter your details, including your AHPRA number. The next time you want to log on to doctorportal Learning, just click ‘Log In’.
Current AMA Members can access the CPD Tracker for free. If you are not an AMA member you can trial the CPD Tracker for free for 60 days. At the end of your free trial period you can elect to pay a monthly subscription of $22 per month (inc. GST) to access the CPD Tracker.
If, after your trial expires, you don’t want to sign up for CPD tracking, you can still access the Learning Catalogue and learning modules, but you will no longer have access to your CPD reports, tracking and stored evidence of learning including your certificates of completion.
What do I do if I am a medical student and would like to complete doctorportal Learning modules?
If you are a medical student, you can register for doctorportal Learning. Please sign-up to doctorportal first here.
I’m an AMA member and registered for doctorportal Learning, but my account says that I’m on a free trial that I know will expire in two months’ time. How do I rectify this?
doctorportal Learning is free to AMA members. If you have entered your membership number into your account details and your account is still showing as a trial account, you will need to email the doctorportal Learning team at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance, so we can update your account accordingly.
What do I need to do when I log on to doctorportal Learning for the first time?
You need to complete your Learning Profile first. doctorportal Learning needs to know:
- which medical college(s) you are a member of
- your college membership ID. This is important – without this, we cannot report accredited activities back to your medical college on your behalf.
- the date your fellowship commenced with the college(s)
- your scope of practice registered with AHPRA – private practice for example.
By completing your Learning Profile you can then get on with the job of engaging in, or uploading CPD accredited learning. Once you have completed your profile you can add or delete a college at any time. Your Learning Profile will appear on your doctorportal Learning Dashboard whenever you log on.
What will I get if I decide to sign up to doctorportal Learning?
By signing up to doctorportal Learning you will receive a FREE 60 day trial to the CPD Tracker complete with MBA approved reporting functionality. You can also register to a wide range of free or paid online medical education modules, or conferences and events delivered by education providers.
If you are an AMA Member, access to the CPD Tracker continues to be FREE after the trial. Not an AMA Member? Join now or pay just $22 (inc GST) per month for the CPD Tracker.
Using the CPD Tracker ensures that your completed learning certificates are automatically uploaded to your CPD report, and for accredited learning, your points tracked to display on your doctorportal Learning Dashboard. How you track your learning is determined by how you set-up your Learning Profile as part of the registration process.
When completing my Learning Profile, what do I put down for the rest of the fields?
While the remaining fields in your Learning Profile are not mandatory, where your college requires a report with your membership number, it can be useful to put this information into your Learning Profile. It will assist your college to process your CPD record. Where a college has a multi-year cycle based on a membership date, it can also be useful to add this information.
Where a doctorportal Learning module has been accredited by a medical college that you are a member of, your college membership number is required. Otherwise, we cannot report your completed accredited activities back to your medical college on your behalf.
I’ve completed my Learning Profile, but it won’t let me log any activities. What can I do?
When completing your learning profile you must first select a college from the drop-down menu at the top of the screen, and click ‘Add College’. Then, before leaving the page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘Save’. This will ensure that you are able to see your selected college on the CPD homepage.
I’ve accidentally deleted my doctorportal Learning profile. What should I do?
Don’t worry, we have stored back-ups of your data. Please contact our doctorportal Learning team by emailing email@example.com.
How do I set up my profile to reflect the RACGP QI points program?
- Sign in at https://www.doctorportal.com.au/
- Go to the My Learning Profile menu option under CPD Tracker: https://learning.doctorportal.com.au/profile
- Choose RACGP, and any other medical colleges you need to track points against, from the ‘Select College’ drop-down menu.
- Click ‘Add College’ on the right-hand side. Please note, it doesn’t work if you miss this step.
- Add your college QI Program ID number.
- Click ‘Save’ at the bottom of the page.
These steps ensure that the system will track points according to your individual requirements.
You should now be able to see both the RACGP and MBA widgets added to your CPD Home. There is a useful Start Tour feature in the top right-hand corner of the screen that shows you the features of the site.
To consume online content, please browse the online Learning Catalogue. Completed content will be automatically added to your profile. Simply click on a piece of content to get started.
To create reports that collate your recorded learning and evidence, for your records, or to provide to AHPRA, please choose ‘My CPD Reports’ from the menu bar. Click ‘View Report’ next to the report you wish to access, then, at the bottom of the report, simply click ‘Print’ (your report and evidence will be automatically collated), or click ‘Download Report’. Your report and evidence will be stored on your computer as a zip file for your convenience.
To upload evidence from external learning (e.g. a certificate of attendance at an event) choose ‘Upload Activity’ from the menu and complete the fields indicated as mandatory. To reveal all activity types for your college, expand the menu by clicking on the arrow next to the college name. For example:
The system will ask you to choose a file for upload. Once uploaded, this will be collated into your report. Please note, you can only upload .jpg images and .pdf files.
I accidentally listed the wrong colleges on my learning profile. How can I correct my college(s)?
You can edit your colleges at any time.
To remove incorrectly selected colleges, follow these quick steps.
- Go to the My Learning Profile page.
- Next to the college you wish to remove select the ‘Delete’ option.
- A pop-up message will ask you to confirm.
Your incorrectly added college has now been removed.
I want to keep an annual record of the number of hours that I engage in learning. Can the doctorportal Learning CPD Tracker assist me?
When setting up your Learning Profile be sure to select the MBA as one of your ‘medical colleges’. Adding the MBA to your profile will enable you to view a report detailing the number of hours logged for each learning activity. You can then view or print the report to keep track of your CPD activity hours. Please note, you can add the MBA to your Learning Profile anytime, but it will not log completed hours of learning retrospectively.
Does doctorportal Learning offer a range of accredited learning modules that I can register for?
Most learning in the system is accredited with one or more medical colleges. Once you have completed a module, the details and accredited CPD points are automatically added to your CPD Tracker medical college profile report(s), and will appear on the Home page summary CPD dashboard. Available learning modules support the educational needs of a range of doctors, including those working in general practice, specialities, DiTs and medical students, and are continually growing.
Where can I view the range of modules offered by doctorportal Learning?
Visit the Learning Catalogue on the top menu bar to browse for and register to an activity. Remember, the self-paced online learning modules can be completed anywhere, anytime and if you have to pause learning, you can simply log in to resume the module where you left off.
Can I save learning modules that I want to complete from the Learning Catalogue for later?
Yes. doctorportal Learning allows you to enrol in a learning module and save it for later. You can check your ‘Reading List’ or ‘To Do’ list under Enrolled Activities in the menu bar.
Can I earn CPD points by completing doctorportal Learning modules?
Yes. Most doctorportal Learning modules are accredited with one or more medical colleges and many are also available for free. Please visit the Learning Catalogue in the menu bar.
Can the doctorportal Learning CPD Tracker manage the tracking of CPD against all Australian medical colleges?
doctorportal Learning can track CPD against most medical colleges in Australia, including:
- Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
- Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
- Australian College of Dermatologists
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- College of Intensive Care Medicine Australia and New Zealand
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Royal Australasian and New Zealand College of Radiologists
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
You can view the list of available colleges under ‘Learning Profile’ once you have logged on to your portal.
I’ve registered for doctorportal, but I can’t open the CPD Tracker. What am I doing wrong?
doctorportal is a secure and authenticated system that verifies that all users are registered medical practitioners. Your account is checked against the Medical Directory of Australia (MDA) to ensure your details are correct before you are issued access. Most of the time registration is automatic. However, if you have registered, but are not able to log in, it could be that there is a discrepancy between the details you provided during registration and the details held on the MDA. If this is the case, please contact the doctorportal Learning team by E: firstname.lastname@example.org and request that they investigate where your registration is up to.
Can I upload a record of external CPD activities that I have completed?
Yes. You can add activities and map them to your CPD requirements on the ‘Upload Activity’ page found on the top menu bar, or you can navigate to this page by clicking on ‘Log Another Activity’ on https://learning.doctorportal.com.au/home
If you log in at https://learning.doctorportal.com.au/home and enter doctorportal Learning you will be directed to the CPD Tracker homepage, where you should see details for the medical college(s) you have added into your learning profile. The learning home page summarises the time remaining in your medical college CPD cycles, the number of points you need to achieve and any mandatory activities that need to undertake to achieve your college(s) CPD requirements.
A more detailed walkthrough is available.
If you would like to see the specific categories you can register points against, please click ‘View Category Options’. This lists a range of categories available, and where your logged activities fit into those categories.
I’m trying to upload some evidence to my activity record, but it’s not appearing. What should I do?
doctorportal Learning can only upload PDF documents and JPG image files. As the system is able to generate full CPD reports for you, modifiable documents including Microsoft Word or TXT files are unable to be uploaded as evidence. There are a number of freeware programs that will allow you to convert documents into PDF prior to uploading them into doctorportal Learning.
Can I upload learning activities from my smartphone or tablet?
Yes, you can. Please follow these easy steps.
- Log in to doctoportal.com.au using the web browsers on your smartphone.
- From the main doctorportal web page displayed in a mobile compatible layout, select the menu button to open the mobile compatible menu layout for doctorportal. Please select the ‘Learning’ option from the menu. You may need to scroll down to find it.
- View your CPD Tracker dashboard
- Select the menu button again to display the menu options for the CPD Tracker.
- Select ‘Upload Activity’ from the CPD Tracker menu to be taken to the complete list of your uploaded activities.
- Follow the ‘+Upload Activity’ prompt at the top of the screen to be taken to the CPD Activity Upload Form.
- Complete the CPD Activity Upload Form just as you would if you were using your computer. Please remember to fill in as many details as you can to avoid any error messages preventing your activity from uploading the first time.
- You’re done! Check your entry or add another. If you have any difficulty with the tracker you can always contact the doctorportal Learning team buy emailing email@example.com
I am not yet vocationally registered, or training in a specialty. Can I use the doctorportal Learning CPD Tracker?
Absolutely. It’s perfect for your CPD tracking needs and will provide you with free or paid learning modules to ensure you meet your MBA reporting obligations. Please ensure ‘Medical Board of Australia – CPD’ is selected in your learning profile and doctorportal Learning will track your CPD activities against the Medical Board’s requirements. The CPD Tracker will also provide a CPD report at the end of the reporting cycle should you need to demonstrate your CPD activities to the Medical Board of Australia.
Is there another tracker I can use if I am not vocationally registered?
We are not aware of one.
Is the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) report in the right format for an audit? Can I use this report if I’m audited by AHPRA?
Yes. The MBA and AHPRA have reviewed the report template and provided input, so be assured that the report produced by the doctorportal Learning CPD Tracker is in the correct format, and can be provided for auditing purposes.
Does doctorportal Learning automatically report to AHPRA or my medical college?
If you are a member of the RACGP or ACRRM and the module you complete has been accredited with either or both of these colleges, your CPD points will be uploaded by doctorportal Learning to that college on your behalf AND recorded in your doctorportal Learning CPD Tracker.
For any other college, unless it is indicated on the Learning Catalogue module information page, the CPD Tracker will not automatically send a report to your medical college or the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) on your behalf. This is your responsibility. You can download or print your CPD report anytime to send to your college or the MBA. Please note, for non-AMA Members, a download of your report is not available when your free trial period has expired.
To print a report the CPD Tracker gives you two options. You can print or download the contents of your CPD record against your nominated medical college and/or the MBA as a single PDF file, or as a zip file containing the complete summary of your CPD and all associated evidence.
This report is produced in a format that meets the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) requirements should you be asked by AHPRA to submit a complete record of your CPD activity. Please click ‘CPD Reports’ in the menu bar to access your doctorportal Learning report(s).
I want my college to use this tracker. Who can I talk to?
Please forward all college enquiries to AMA Director Member Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Does doctorportal Learning print a ‘Certificate of Compliance’?
The doctorportal CPD tracker will print a summary report detailing your complete CPD record listed against your college requirements, which you can submit to your college, or directly to the Medical Board of Australia (MBA). The report can either be printed with all evidence attached, or it can be downloaded into a .zip file that will contain all individual files, including the summary report of your activities.
To access the reporting functions, please select ‘My CPD Reports’ from the menu bar, then ‘View Reports’. The print or download options are available at the bottom of your summary report page.
Have another question?
Contact the doctorportal Learning team by emailing email@example.com for assistance.