PM to address national conference
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull will address the Saturday morning session of the AMA National conference, as the event’s keynote speaker.
The 2017 AMA National Conference will take place at the Sofitel on Collins, Canberra, from 27-29 May.
National political and medical leaders and experts will present at this year’s conference to cover a diverse range of issues central to AMA members.
The 2017 AMA National Conference Program will discuss and debate topical medical, political and ethical issues affecting health and care in Australia.
- Tackling Obesity – will deliver opinion from a range of experts into the global obesity epidemic, including how AMA policy can help shape an effective and informed method of address by the Australian Government.
- Threats Beyond Borders – is an interactive panel discussion on potential infectious diseases that could cross Australian borders and will explore the role of a National Centre for Disease Control (CDC).
- Improving Australia’s organ donation rate – will examine ethical and practical considerations in how to match Australia’s leading global role of successful organ transplant outcomes with our need to increase organ donation rate.
- Doctors’ Health and Wellbeing – will discuss emerging issues relating looking after doctors’ health during medical training and throughout their professional careers. The session will explore the success and otherwise of initiatives being implemented in this area.
Pre-conference masterclass on offer – Limited places only
In conjunction with the 2017 AMA National Conference, the Pam McLean Centre and will provide a pre-conference masterclass open to all doctors on Thursday 25 May, also held at the Sofitel on Collins, Melbourne.
The masterclass on ‘Dealing with Bad health News’ will be an interactive, evidence based full-day masterclass designed to provide a safe learning environment for participants to explore different communication approaches to help patients deal with bad health news.
Under the guidance of an expert facilitator, Professor Stewart Dunn (Director, Pam McLean Centre), participants will develop skills in interpreting human behaviour by improving the way they recognise, identify and respond to emotional reactions.
This is an accredited activity for RACGP Category 1 and ACRRM Core PDP points.
Pre-conference masterclass details are:
- Time: 9:30 – 5:00
- Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017
- Venue: Sofitel, 25 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Tickets: Conference attendees – $660, AMA members – $770, non-AMA members – $880
For more information about the whole conference visit: https://natcon.ama.com.au/