Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012: 51st Edition
This is the number 1 annual textbook on internal medicine – delivering evidence-based coverage of more than 1,000 diseases and disorders and includes 6 online-only chapters at no additional cost. It puts the latest research into your practice.
Written by clinicians renowned in their respective fields, “CMDT” offers the most current insight into symptoms, signs, epidemiology, and treatment for more than 1,000 diseases and disorders. For each topic, you’ll find concise, evidence-based answers to questions about hospital and ambulatory medicine. This streamlined clinical companion is the fastest and easiest way to keep abreast of the latest medical advances, prevention strategies, and cost-effective treatments. Features and content of this title are critical to clinical practice.
It places strong emphasis on the practical aspects of clinical diagnosis and patient management in all fields of internal medicine. It presents full review of all internal medicine and primary care topics, including gynecology and obstetrics, dermatology, neurology, ophthalmology, geriatrics, and palliative care.
There are six online-only chapters available at no additional cost. This title features full-colour photographs and illustrations
This is the only text with an annual review of advances in HIV treatment. It provides specific disease prevention information. It includes hundreds of drug treatment tables, with indexed trade names and updated prices – plus helpful diagnostic and treatment algorithms. There are recent references with PMID numbers. ICD-9 codes are conveniently listed on the inside covers.
The following chapters are new to this edition:
• Sports Medicine & Outpatient Orthopedics;
• Extensive revision of medical and surgical conditions of pregnancy;
• Updated coverage of evaluating fertility in women, immunization requirements, and the use and safety of nonsteroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs;
• Extensive revision of Kidney Disease chapter;
• New topics include snoring, a selection of common musculoskeletal problems such as subacromial impingement syndrome, rotator cuff tear, anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus injuries, patellofemoral pain syndrome, and inversion and eversion ankle sprains;
• Online-only chapter on Women’s Health Issues; and, S.I. units used throughout.
Authors Preface 1. Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Prevention of Infectious Diseases,Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, Prevention of Osteoporosis, Prevention of Physical Inactivity,Prevention of Overweight & Obesity, Cancer Prevention, Prevention of Injuries & Violence, Prevention of Substance Abuse: Alcohol & Illicit Drugs,
2. Common Symptoms, Cough, Dyspnea, Hemoptysis, Chest Pain, Palpitations, Lower Extremity Edema, Fever & Hyperthermia Involuntary Weight Loss, Fatigue & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Acute Headache, Dysuria 3. Preoperative Evaluation & Perioperative Management, Evaluation of the Asymptomatic Patient, Cardiac Risk Assessment & Reduction, Pulmonary Evaluation in Non-Lung Resection Surgery, Evaluation of the Patient with Liver Disease, Preoperative Hematologic Evaluation, Neurologic Evaluation, Management of Endocrine Diseases, Kidney Disease, Antibiotic Prophylaxis of Surgical Site Infections
4. Geriatric Disorders, General Principles of Geriatric Care, Assessment of the Older Adult, Management of Common Geriatric Problems, –Dementia –Depression –Delirium –Immobility –Falls & Gait Disorders –Urinary Incontinence –Undernutrition & Frailty –Pressure Ulcers –Pharmacotherapy & Polypharmacy –Vision Impairment –Hearing Impairment –Elder Abuse 5. Palliative Care & Pain Management, Definition & Scope of Palliative Care Pain Management –Principles of Pain Management –Pain at the End of Life –Pharmacologic Pain Management Strategies –Nonpharmacologic Treatments Palliation of Other Common Symptoms –Dyspnea –Nausea & Vomiting –Constipation –Delirium & Agitation End-of-Life Care–Tasks after Death
6. Dermatologic Disorders, Principles of Dermatologic Therapy Common Dermatoses –Pigmented Lesions –Scaling Disorders –Vesicular Dermatoses –Weeping or Crusted Lesions –Pustular Disorders –Erythemas –Blistering Diseases –Papules –Violaceous to Purple Papules & Nodules –Pruritus (Itching) –Inflammatory Nodules –Epidermal Inclusion Cyst –Photodermatitis –Ulcers Miscellaneous Dermatologic Disorders –Pigmentary Disorders –Baldness (Alopecia) –Nail Disorders –Dermatitis Medicamentosa (Drup Eruption) 7. Disorders of the Eyes & Lids, Refractive Errors, Disorders of the Lids & Lacrimal Apparatus, Conjunctivitis, Penguecula & Pterygium, Corneal Ulcer, Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma, Chronic Glaucoma, Uveitis, Cataract, Retinal Detachment, Vitreous Hemorrhage, Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Central & Branch Retinal Vein Occlusions, Central & Branch Retinal Artery Occlusions, Transient Monocular Blindness, Retinal Disorders Associated with Systemic Diseases, Ischemic Optic Neuropathy, Optic Neuritis, Optic Disk Swelling, Ocular Motor Palsies, Dysthyroid Eye Disease, Orbital Cellulitis, Ocular Trauma, Ultraviolet Keratitis (Actinic Keratitis), Chemical Conjunctivitis & Keratitis, Treatment of Ocular Disorders Precautions in Management of Ocular Disorders, Adverse Ocular Effects of Systemic Drugs 8. Ear, Nose, & Throat Disorders, Diseases of the Ear, Diseases of the Nose & Paranasal Sinuses, Diseases of the Oral Cavity & Pharynx Diseases of the Salivary Glands, Diseases of the Larynx, Tracheotomy & Cricothyrotomy, Foreign Bodies in the Upper Aerodigestive Tract, Diseases Presenting as Neck Masses 9. Pulmonary Disorders, Disorders of the Airways, Pulmonary Infections, Pulmonary Neoplasms, Interstitial Lung Disease, (Diffuse Parenchymal Lung Disease) Disorders of the Pulmonary Circulation, Environmental & Occupational Lung Disorders, Pleural Diseases, Disorders of Control of Ventilation, Acute Respiratory Failure, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome 10. Heart Disease, Congenital Heart Disease. Valvular Heart Disease, Coronary Heart Disease (Atherosclerotic CAD, Ischemic Heart Disease) Disturbances of Rate & Rhythm, Bradycardias & Conduction Disturbances Congestive Heart Failure, Myocarditis & the Cardiomyopathies, Rheumatic Fever, Diseases of the Pericardium, Pulmonary Hypertension & Pulmonary Heart Disease, Neoplastic Diseases of the Heart Cardiac Involvement in Miscellaneous Systemic Diseases, Traumatic Heart Disease, The Cardiac Patient & Surgery, Heart Disease & Pregnancy, Cardiovascular Screening of Athletes 11. Systemic Hypertension, How is Blood Pressure Measured and Hypertension Diagnosed? Prehypertension, Approach to Hypertension, Drug Therapy: Current Antihypertensive Agents, Resistant Hypertension, Hypertensive Urgencies and Emergencies 12. Blood Vessel & Lymphatic Disorders, Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease, Nonatherosclerotic Vascular Disease, Arterial Aneurysms Venous Diseases, Diseases of the Lymphatic Channels, Shock 13. Blood Disorders, Anemias, Neutropenia, Leukemias & Other Myeloproliferative Disorders, Lymphomas, Stem Cell Transplantation, Blood Transfusions 14. Disorders of Hemostatis, Thrombosis, & Antithrombotic Therapy, Platelet Disorders, Disorders of Coagulation, Antithrombotic Therapy 15. Gastrointestinal Disorders, Symptoms & Signs of Gastrointestinal Disease Diseases of the Peritoneum, Diseases of the Esophagus, Diseases of the Stomach & Duodenum, Diseases of the Small Intestine, Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, Anorectal Diseases 16. Liver, Biliary, & Pancreas Disorders, Jaundice, Diseases of the Liver, Diseases of the Biliary Tract, Diseases of the Pancreas 17. Breast Disorders, Benign Breast Disorders –Fibrocystic Condition –Fibroadenoma of the Breast –Nipple Discharge –Fat Necrosis –Breast Abscess –Disorders of the Augmented
Breast Carcinoma of the Female Breast, Carcinoma of the Male Breast 18. Gynecologic Disorders, Abnormal Premenopausal Bleeding, Postmenopausal Vaginal Bleeding, Premenstrual Syndrome (Premenstrual Tension), Dysmenorrhea, Vaginitis, Cervical Polyps, Cyst & Abscess of Bartholin Duct Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia (Dysplasia of the Cervix), Carcinoma of the Cervix, Leiomyoma of the Uterus (Fibroid Tumor), Carcinoma of the Endometrium, Carcinoma of the Vulva, Endometriosis, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (Salpingitis, Endometritis, Ovarian Cancer & Ovarian Tumors, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Female Sexual Dysfunction, Infertility, Contraception, Rape, Menopausal Syndrome 19. Obstetrics & Obstetric Disorders, Diagnosis of Pregnancy, Essentials of Prenatal Care, Nutrition in Pregnancy, Prevention of Rhesus Alloimmunization, Lactation, Travel & Immunization during Pregnancy, Obstetric Complications of the First & Second Trimester, –Vomiting of Pregnancy (Morning Sickness) & Hyperemesis Gravidarum (Pernicious Vomiting of Pregnancy), –Spontaneous Abortion, –Recurrent (Habitual) Abortion, –Ectopic Pregnancy, –Gestational Trophoblastic Disease (Hydatidiform Mole & Choriocarcinoma), Obstetric Complications of the Second & Third Trimester, –Preeclampsia-Eclampsia –Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy –Preterm (Premature) Labor –Third-Trimester Bleeding Obstetric Complications of the Peripartum Period –Puerperal Mastitis –Chorioamnionitis & Metritis
Medical Conditions Complicating Pregnancy –Anemia –Antiphospholipid Syndrome –Thyroid Disease –Diabetes Mellitus –Chronic Hypertensive Disease –Heart Disease –Asthma –Seizure Disorders Infectious Conditions Complicating Pregnancy –Urinary Tract Infection –Group B Streptococcal Infection –Varicella –Tuberculosis –HIV/AIDS during Pregnancy –Maternal Hepatitis B & C Carrier State –Herpes Genitalis –Syphilis, Gonorrhea, & Chlamydia trachomatis Infection
Surgical Complications during Pregnancy –Cholelithiasis, Cholecystitis, & Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy –Appendicitis –Carcinoma of the Breast –Ovarian Tumors 20. Musculoskeletal & Immunologic Disorders, . Diagnosis & Evaluation, Degenerative & Crystal-Induced Arthritis, Pain Syndromes, Autoimmune Diseases, Vasculitis Syndromes, Seronegative Spondyloarthropathies, Infectious Arthritis, Infections of Bones, Other Rheumatic Diseases, Allergic Diseases, Atopic Disease, Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders 21. Electrolyte & Acid-Base Disorders, Kerry C. Cho Disorders of Sodium Concentration, Hyperosmolar Disorders & Osmolar Gaps, Disorders of Potassium Concentration, Disorders of Calcium Concentration, Disorders of Phosphorus Concentration, Disorders of Magnesium Concentration, Acid-Base Disorders, Fluid Management 22. Kidney Disease, Assessment of Kidney Disease, Acute Kidney Injury (Acute Renal Failure), Chronic Kidney Disease Glomerular Diseases, Nephrotic Spectrum Disease in Primary Renal Disorders, Nephrotic Spectrum Disease from Systemic Disorders, Tubulointerstitial Diseases, Cystic Diseases of the Kidney, Multisystem Diseases with Variable Kidney Involvement 23. Urologic Disorders, Hematuria Genitourinary Tract Infections –Acute Cystitis –Acute Pyelonephritis –Acute Bacterial Prostatitis –Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis –Nonbacterial Prostatitis –Prostatodynia –Acute Epididymitis – Urinary Stone Disease Interstitial Cystitis Male Erectile Dysfunction & Sexual Dysfunction, Male Infertility, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 24. Nervous System Disorders, Headache, Facial Pain, Epilepsy, Dysautonomia, Sensory Disturbances, Weakness & Paralysis, Transient Ischemic Attacks, Stroke, Intracranial & Spinal Mass Lesions, Nonmetastatic Neurologic Complications of Malignant Disease, Pseudotumor Cerebri (Benign Intracranial Hypertension)
Selected Neurocutaneous Diseases Movement Disorders, Dementia, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuromyelitis Optica, Vitamin E Deficiency, Spasticity, Myelopathies in AIDS, Myelopathy of Human T Cell Leukemia Virus Infection, Subacute Combined Degeneration of the Spinal Cord, Wernicke Encephalopathy, Stupor & Coma, Head Injury Spinal Trauma, Syringomyelia, Degenerative Motor Neuron Diseases, Peripheral Neuropathies –Polyneuropathies & Mononeuritis Multiplex –Mononeuropathies –Bell Palsy Discogenic Neck Pain, Brachial & Lumbar Plexus Lesions, Disorders of Neuromuscular Transmission Myopathic Disorders, Periodic Paralysis Syndromes 25. Psychiatric Disorders, Common Psychiatric Disorders Substance Use Disorders (Drug Dependency, Drug Abuse) Delirium & Other Cognitive Disorders (Formerly: Organic Brain Syndrome) Psychiatric Problems Associated with Hospitalization & Illness 26. Endocrine Disorders, Diseases of the Hypothalamus & Pituitary Gland, Diseases of the Thyroid Gland, Diseases of the Parathyroids, Metabolic Bone Disease, Diseases of the Adrenal Cortex, Pheochromocytoma & Paraganglioma, Pancreatic & Duodenal Neuroendocrine Tumors, Diseases of the Testes & Male Breast Amenorrhea & Menopause, Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia, Clinical Use of Corticosteroids,
27. Diabetes Mellitus & Hypoglycemia, span> Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetic Coma, The Hypoglycemic States 28. Lipid Disorders, Lipoproteins & Atherogenesis, Lipid Fractions & the Risk of Coronary Heart Disease, Therapeutic Effects of Lowering Cholesterol, Secondary Conditions that Affect Lipid Metabolism, Clinical Presentations, Screening for High Blood Cholesterol, Treatment of High Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol, High Blood Triglycerides 29. Nutritional Disorders, Protein-Energy Malnutrition, Obesity, Eating Disorders, Disorders of Vitamin Metabolism, Diet Therapy Nutritional Support 30. Common Problems in Infectious Diseases & Antimicrobial Therapy, Common Problems in Infectious Diseases –Fever of Unknown Origin–Infections in the Immunocompromised Patient–Health Care-Associated infections –Infections of the Central Nervous System–Animal & Human Bite Wounds–Sexually Transmitted Diseases–Infections in Drug Users–Acute Infectious Diarrhea–Infectious Diseases in the Returning Traveler–Traveler’s Diarrhea -Antimicrobial Therapy –Selected Principles of Antimicrobial Therapy –Hypersensitivity Tests & Desensitization Immunization Against Infectious Diseases –Recommended Immunization of Infants, Children, and Adolescents –Recommended Immunization for Adults –Recommended Immunization for Travelers –Vaccine Safety 31. HIV Infection & AIDS, Epidemiology, Etiology, Pathogenesis, Pathophysiology, Clinical Findings, Differential Diagnosis, Prevention, Treatment, Course & Prognosis, When to Refer. When to Admit 32. Viral & Rickettsial Infections, Viral Diseases –Human Herpesviruses –Major Vaccine-Preventable Viral Infections –Other Neurotropic Viruses –Other Systemic Viral Diseases –Common Viral Respiratory Infections –Adenovirus Infections –Other Exanthematous Viral Infections –Viruses & Gastroenteritis –Enteroviruses that Produce Several Syndromes Rickettsial Diseases –Typhus Group –Spotted Fevers –Other Rickettsial & Rickettsial-Like Diseases –Kawasaki Disease 33. Bacterial & Chlamydial Infections, Infections Caused by Gram-Positive Bacteria, Infective Endocarditis, Infections Caused by Gram-Negative Bacteria, Actinomycosis, Nocardiosis, Infections Caused by Mycobacteria, Infections Caused by Chlamydiae 34. Spirochetal Infections, Syphilis, Non-Sexually-Transmitted Treponematoses, Selected Spirochetal Diseases, –Relapsing Fever –Rat-Bite Fever –Leptospirosis–Lyme Disease (Lyme Borreliosis)
35. Protozoal & Helminthic Infections, Philip J. Rosenthal Protozoal Infections –African Trypanosomiasis (Sleeping Sickness) –American Trypanosomiasis (Chagas Disease) –Leishmaniasis –Malaria –Babesiosis –Toxoplasmosis –Amebiasis –Infections with Pathogenic Free-Living Amebas –Coccidiosis (Cryptosporidiosis, Isosporiasis, Cyclosporiasis, Sarcocystosis) & Microsporidiosis –Giardiasis
–Other Intestinal Flagellate Infections –Trichomoniasis -Helminthic Infections –Trematode (Fluke) Infections –Liver, Lung, & Intestinal Flukes –Cestode Infections –Intestinal Nematode (Roundworm) Infections –Invasive Nematode (Roundworm) Infections –Filariasis 36. Mycotic Infections, Candidiasis, Histoplasmosis, Coccidioidomysosis, Pneumocystosis (Pneumocystis jiroveci Pneumonia Cryptococcosis, Aspergillosis, Mucormycosis, Blastomycosis, Paracoccidiodomycosis (South American Blastomycosis), Sporotrichosis, Penicillium marneffei Infections, Chromoblastomycosis , Chromomycosis), Mycetoma (Maduromycosis & Actinomycetoma), Other Opportunistic Mold Infections Antifungal Therapy 37. Disorders Related to Environmental Factors, Cold & Heat-Burns, Electrical Injury, Radiation Exposure, Near Drowning, Other Disorders Related to Environmental Factors 38. Poisoning, Initial Evaluation: Poisoning or Overdose, The Symptomatic Patient, Antidotes & Other Treatment, Diagnosis of Poisoning, Selected Poisonings 39. Cancer, Etiology, Modifiable Risk Factors, Staging, The Paraneoplastic Syndromes Types of Cancer –Lung Cancer –Hepatobiliary Cancers –Alimentary Tract Cancers –Cancers of the Genitourinary Tract Cancer Complications & Emergencies Primary Cancer Treatment
–Systemic Cancer Therapy –Toxicity & Dose Modification of Chemotherapeutic Agents –Prognosis 40. Clinical Genetic Disorders, Acute Intermittent Porphyria , Alkaptonuria, Down Syndrome, Fragile X Mental Retardation, Gaucher Disease, Disorders of Homocysteine Metabolism, Klinefelter Syndrome, Marfan Syndrome, Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia 41. Sports Medicine & Outpatient Orthopedics, General Approach to Musculoskeletal Injuries Shoulder –Subacromial Impingement Syndrome –Rotator Cuff Tears–Shoulder Dislocation & Instability–Adhesive Capsulitis (“Frozen Shoulder”) Spine Problems –Low Back Pain–Spinal Stenosis–Lumbar Disk Herniation–Neck Pain Upper Extremity –Lateral & Medial Epicondylosis–Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Hip –Hip Fractures–Osteoarthritis Knee –Knee Pain–Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury –Collateral Ligament Injury –Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury–Meniscus Injuries–Patellofemoral Pain–Osteoarthritis Ankle Injuries –Inversion Ankle Sprains –Eversion (“High”) Ankle Sprains Appendix: Therapeutic Drug Monitoring & Laboratory Reference Intervals, Index ONLINE-ONLY CHAPTERS: www.AccessMedicine.com/CMDT Anti-Infective Chemotherapeutic & Antibiotic Agents, B. Joseph Guglielmo Penicillins Cephalosporins Other -Lactam Drugs, Erythromycin Group (Macrolides), Ketolides, Tetracycline Group, Glycylcyclines, Chloramphenicol, Aminoglycosides, Polymyxins, Antibuterculous Drugs, Alternative Drugs in Tuberculosis Treatment, Rifamycins, Sulfonamides & Antifolate Drugs, Sulfones Used in the Treatment of Leprosy, Specialized Drugs Used Against Bacteria, Streptogramins Oxazolidinediones, Daptomycin, Telavancin, Quinolones, Pentamidine & Atovaquone, Urinary Antiseptics, Antifungal Drugs, Antiviral Chemotherapy Basic Genetics, Reed E. Pyeritz Introduction to Medical Genetics –Genes & Chromosomes –Mutation–Genes in Individuals–Genes in Families–Disorders of Multifactorial Causation–Chromosomal Aberrations The Techniques of Medical Genetics–Family History & Pedigree Analysis–Cytogenetics & Cytogenomics –Biochemical Genetics –DNA Analysis –Prenatal Diagnosis –Neoplasia: Cytogenomic & DNA Analysis Diagnostic Testing & Medical Decision Making, Benefits, Costs, & Risks, Performance of Diagnostic Tests, Test Characteristics, Use of Tests in Diagnosis & Management, Odds-Likelihood Ratios,
Information Technology in Patient Care, Information Security & Patient Care, Clinical Uses of E-mail, Electronic Health Records, Computerized Provider Order Entry, Clinical Decision Support Systems, Social Media & The World Wide Web, Mobile Computing for Clinicians, Telemedicine Complementary & Alternative Medicine, Botanical Medicines, Dietary Supplements, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Medicine Women’s Health Issues, Preventive Health Care –Cardiovascular Disease Prevention –Cancer Prevention –Osteoporosis Prevention –Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections –Depression Screening Specific Issues & Conditions –Intimate Partner Violence –Eating Disorders –Sexuality & Sexual Health –Chronic Pelvic Pain –Mastalgia –The Palpable Breast Mass –Nipple Discharge–Female Pattern Hair Loss–Treatment of Varicose Veins –Age-Related Facial Changes
|Dimensions||28 x 22 x 5 cm|
Stephen McPhee, Maxine Papadakis, Michael W. Rabow
Late October 2012