Public Health Campaign Manager – AMA
The Australian Medical Association (AMA), as the peak health advocacy organisation, exists to advance the health of the community and the professional interests of doctors.
The Federal Secretariat of the AMA contributes to the achievement of this Mission through reinforcing the AMA’s peak status in the development and implementation of health policy and identifying and acting upon the main issues affecting members.
The Public Health Campaign Manager will work closely with the Secretary General, President and Federal Council to develop and lead on the implementation of AMA Public Health Strategies.
- in conjunction with the President, Secretary General, and Federal Council prosecute the AMA’s Public Health agenda;
- work closely with the President, Secretary General, and Federal Council to devise and implement AMA Public Health strategies;
- proactively develop and lead on the implementation of Public Health campaigns;
- identify key stakeholder groups and coordinate shared campaign activities;
- identify target decision-makers for lobbying activities on Public Health and Indigenous health issues;
- work closely with the Public Affairs team to ensure maximum impact of the campaigns across all media;
- provide briefings and draft correspondence for the President and Secretary General for meetings with parliamentarians, senior officials and public figures, and in response to media inquiries;
- draft formal speeches for the President/Vice President where required as part of a Public Health campaign;
- monitor Public Health policy initiatives within Australia and overseas, including contemporary and emerging research in Public Health areas;
- establish and maintain effective relationships with peak health bodies, government agencies, and other experts and organisations to inform and strengthen the work of the AMA;
- contribute to the success of the team in meeting the AMA’s aims and objectives and to undertake other reasonable duties commensurate with the level of this role;
- the duties and responsibilities of the post require the flexibility to travel interstate and work various shifts which may occasionally include weekends, evenings and Public Holidays and this is reflected in the salary.
This position description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive; it is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
- extensive experience in crafting and implementing complex and diverse Public Health campaigns;
- extensive experience in developing and implementing effective strategies to respond to complex Public Health issues;
- understanding of the workings of Federal Government and the ability to identify, build and maintain relationships with key people of influence;
- relevant qualifications or a combination of qualifications and experience relevant to the role;
- excellent people skills – able to build and maintain effective relationships with senior policy makers in the Public Health sector, in Canberra and nationally.
- excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
- excellent presentation skills;
- an enthusiastic and flexible approach;
- the ability to produce high quality accurate work to meet deadlines despite competing demands; good problem solving, decision making and analytical capabilities;
- excellent computer skills with a sound working knowledge of all modern computer software and office systems.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and an up to date resume.
For further information in respect of this position please contact Anne Trimmer, Secretary General via email firstname.lastname@example.org or on telephone number 02 6270 5460.
Remuneration for this position will be determined after assessment of relevant skills, experience and qualifications.
Closing Date for Applications – Monday 4 August 2014.